Welcome Fellow Campaigners!!

I'm participating in the Platform Building Campaign. If you're a fellow campaigner stopping by, make sure to leave me a comment if you follow me so that I can find you. Sometimes there's not a link in your profile on the GFC so I don't have a way to figure out where you came from. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to reading your posts!!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ahchar Bless You


One of the things we love to eat is achar (pronounced uh-char). Basically it's pickled something. Whether it's mangoes, lemons, vegetables, eggplant, or chilies , we have it at every meal. Everyone else prefers aam ka achar (pickled mango), but I prefer the chili achar. The mango has this bittery sweet taste that I just can't quite get around. Instead of making two separate achars, we just make the mango and chile achar together and then everyone can eat whichever they prefer. Except I am the only one that eats the chilies so there is always more for me. Yum!

Lately I have been on a recipe kick. I go through this phase every so often. I just collect recipes. I love to cook, but don't get to the way I did before I got married. Bizarre but true so I live vicariously through recipes and dream about the day when I will get to make them. I thought I would use my Across the Pond series to maybe share some of them with you and compile them for myself so I will always have a copy that I can actually find as opposed to being lost amongst my other ramblings.  Also this week I have a few guest posts to sort of kick off August. I haven't quite got sorted out yet so until I do I thought I would have some very cool writers stop by. Maybe give you some ideas for your Fall reading lists. Be sure to stop back by and check them out.



Here's the recipe. Hope you enjoy:


Aam ka achar (Pickled Mango)

Ingredients:
• 3 Raw Mangoes (medium sized)
• 4 tbsp Red Chili Powder
• 4 tbsp Mustard seeds
• 3 tbsp Salt
• 200 ml Sesame Oil
• 1 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds (roasted)
• 1 tbsp Curry leaves

How to make Mango Pickle:
  Clean and wipe dry the mangoes.
  Cut them into halves along with the seed.
  Remove the pulp from the seed.
  Dice the mangoes ensuring that the hard shell is there in each piece inside.
  Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
  Add red chilly powder, salt, and fenugreek powder.
  Remove from fire. Add the mango pieces and mix well.
  Take dry earthen jar and put the mango cubes into it.
  Add sesame oil to the mango cubes and mix them well.
  Put the jar in sunlight for 3-5 days.
           Mango Pickle is ready to eat.


Note: Once your achar is ready to eat, you want to stir this once a day especially if you're not eating it daily like we do. This will keep the mango pieces fully coated with the oil and spices which act as a preservative


Sorry about the false starts blogger was being a pain

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...