Welcome Fellow Campaigners!!

I'm participating in the Platform Building Campaign. If you're a fellow campaigner stopping by, make sure to leave me a comment if you follow me so that I can find you. Sometimes there's not a link in your profile on the GFC so I don't have a way to figure out where you came from. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to reading your posts!!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Saturday Spotlight - Alex J. Cavanaugh



This week's Spotlight is a bit different. When I started Saturday Spotlight, my intention was and still is to feature Indie Authors. Mainly because they don't have the marketing behind their books that published authors have, but I also want to be able to have a well rounded list of info for aspiring writers. I know there are many writers who are just starting out and are uncertain which path is right for them. That is why I thought I would ask the wonderful blogger I met through the A-Z challenge, Alex J. Cavanaugh to appear in the Spotlight this week. There are a few traditionally published authors whose stories touched my heart and I felt compelled to share them with you simply because I enjoy reading them so much. 

Here's my Q & A with Alex:




1. How did you decide sci-fi was the genre for you?

I’m a science fiction geek at heart - movies, TV, books, you name it! I also read fantasy and thrillers, but I decided to start with the genre I felt most comfortable writing.



2. How long did you have to wait from the first query letter til you finally got published?

Seven months? Something like that! I started with big publishers and then queried smaller ones.



3. When you're creating new worlds, races, languages etc, do you do any type of special research and where does your inspiration come from?

Besides a lifetime of exposure to science fiction? No special research, although I did expand my knowledge of fighter jets.The idea of creating my own universe came from watching all of those science fiction shows and movies. For me, the best aspect of science fiction is its sense of adventure. And of course the characters, because if I don’t connect with the characters, then it doesn’t matter how grand the adventure.



4. What is your current WIP?

I’m currently revising a sequel to CassaStar that begins twenty years later. Much to my surprise, readers wanted more. They also wanted a female character. (Imagine that!) So, I’m giving them both.

Alex J. Cavanaugh




Some more info on Alex:

Alex J. Cavanaugh has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and works in web design and graphics. He is experienced in technical editing and worked with an adult literacy program for several years. A fan of all things science fiction, his interests range from books and movies to music and games, and he covers those topics on his blog. His first book, CassaStar, was released last fall and is available in trade paperback and all eBook formats.

 

 Info about his first book CassaStar:



 

 

 

CassaStar by Alex J. Cavanaugh

Science fiction/adventure/space opera, Dancing Lemur Press LLC
ISBN Print 9780981621067 eBook 9780982713938  

To pilot the fleet’s finest ship…

Few options remain for Byron, a talented young man with a troubled past and rebellious attitude. Slated to train as a Cosbolt pilot, Byron is determined to prove his worth and begin a new life. Much to his chagrin, Bassa, the toughest instructor in the fleet, takes notice of the young pilot. As war brews on the edge of space, Byron requires a navigator of exceptional quality to survive. Bassa must make a decision that could well decide the fate of both men. Will their skills be enough as they embark on a mission that may stretch their abilities to the limit? 

“…calls to mind the youthful focus of Robert Heinlein’s early military sf, as well as the excitement of space opera epitomized by the many Star Wars novels. Fast-paced military action and a youthful protagonist make this a good choice for both young adult and adult fans of space wars.” - Library Journal


Where you can purchase CassaStar: 
                                                  


















Also available at:


BARNES & NOBLE

Books-A-Million

AMAZON UK

AMAZON KINDLE 



To read past Saturday Spotlight featured authors, visit my Writer Spotlight page 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...