Welcome Fellow Campaigners!!

I'm participating in the Platform Building Campaign. If you're a fellow campaigner stopping by, make sure to leave me a comment if you follow me so that I can find you. Sometimes there's not a link in your profile on the GFC so I don't have a way to figure out where you came from. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to reading your posts!!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Food Fit for a King



Living overseas, I have learned that things don't always have the same meaning over here as they do back home. Sometimes it's the oddest things that will have a total opposite meaning here. This is what I learned just the other day when my husband came home and said, "Cook this for me. I want to see how it tastes." 

I looked at what he was holding, then back up at him and then back to his extended hand. "What?" he asked like I was the one that had suddenly lost my mind instead of him. "But you don't eat that food" was all I could manage to reply. 

"Yea I know but I am curious. Will you fix it?" 

So being the dutiful wife that I am I went off and fixed it. I brought him the bowl and he looked at it. Sniffed it. Took one teensy little bite and curled up his nose. "Take a bigger bite" I said while trying not to laugh and he did. Then promptly handed the bowl to me and said "Here you eat it". 

At that point I couldn't stop my laughter any longer and as I sat there eating what I knew he wasn't going to eat we had the strangest discussion. You see this food he was suddenly so curious about is food of the "wealthy" overseas. Only the rich and "well-to-do" families can actually afford to eat it on a regular basis. One package costs more than what we spend to make an entire meal for 5 so it's definitely not something we would be able to eat often. Except that I am actually the only person who likes it so it's not that big of  a deal. Occasionally I get a craving for it and will buy a package, but beyond that no one else likes it. However every time I eat it I can't help but laugh. If  those poor, starving college students and Wal-Mart shoppers only knew that somewhere in the world they would be considered "rich" because this food was the only thing they could afford to eat. You see this food fit for a king is nothing more than: 







Yep, that's right. Ramen Noodles. This is the food of the well-to-do. Who'd have thunk it?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...