Welcome Fellow Campaigners!!

I'm participating in the Platform Building Campaign. If you're a fellow campaigner stopping by, make sure to leave me a comment if you follow me so that I can find you. Sometimes there's not a link in your profile on the GFC so I don't have a way to figure out where you came from. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to reading your posts!!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Exchanging Beans for Dollars




It's always fun whenever I talk to my friends back in the USA regarding the foreign currency exchange. The average salary overseas is approximately $150 a month. Every time we purchase something here I do the conversions in my head and at times I'm amazed by how much different the costs are. For example, I have an unlimited wifi internet connection with very good speed. Per month it only costs me about $5-6. When I lived in the US, my slow dial up connection cost me $50 per month and that was nearly ten years ago. I can only imagine what it costs now. 

A friend of mine is a currency broker and whenever I talk to him he is always asking me about the cost of things here. He was thinking of starting a business here just because it's so cheap and easy here. I know lots of people who do that. They either start a business or purchase a house and rent it out. It's a great way to make extra money with almost no upfront costs.

Since I started my graphic design business, I've had to figure out how to handle international money transfers. It's always a shock to me when I do the conversions and figure out what I made that month. Whenever I look in my online accounts it doesn't seem like much, but then when we convert it to our currency it almost triples. It's amazing to me how so little in one place can be so much to another. This is one reason I doubt I'll ever go back to the US. It's very difficult to make a good living there. Things are so expensive and salaries are low, but here my salary is high just because I deal mostly in US currency and convert it. I don't know what we'll do in the future but for now it seems to be working. No since in trying to fix something if it's not broken.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...