Welcome Fellow Campaigners!!

I'm participating in the Platform Building Campaign. If you're a fellow campaigner stopping by, make sure to leave me a comment if you follow me so that I can find you. Sometimes there's not a link in your profile on the GFC so I don't have a way to figure out where you came from. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to reading your posts!!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

F (lag)




On our roof, sits an alam (flag). Every night I climb the stairs to the rooftop. I stand there watching it, blowing in the wind. I think of what  it symbolizes and how it means different things to different people. 

To the beggar, it is a symbol that our house is one they will not leave empty handed from. It is a guarantee of food, water, clothing, and shelter in a city where very few doors open to the cries of a hungry child.

To the sick, it is the source of all cures. The place to come when all hope has been lost and the medicines of man have done all that they can.

To friends, it is a sign of unity. A common belief shared amongst millions. An unspoken understanding of brotherhood in a hostile land.

To enemies, it is a reminder their oppression will not be tolerated and that there are people who are willing to sacrifice their lives along with everything they have to stand up and fight against tyranny and evil.

To me, it is a place of rejuvenation. It is where I go when I feel lost and uncertain. When I don't know what direction to go or which road to take. As I stand there and watch it waving in the breeze, I feel a warmth spread through me. Its touch is familiar and comforting. I close my eyes and allow myself to become lost within its depths. When I finally open my eyes, I  still don't know which road to take, but I at least know that no matter which one I chose I will not be alone.

Labbaik ya Ghazi Alamdar (asws)!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...