Welcome Fellow Campaigners!!

I'm participating in the Platform Building Campaign. If you're a fellow campaigner stopping by, make sure to leave me a comment if you follow me so that I can find you. Sometimes there's not a link in your profile on the GFC so I don't have a way to figure out where you came from. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to reading your posts!!

Monday, April 11, 2011

I (roquoian)


source


I am fascinated by languages. I often feel disappointed with my native English language. It lacks the passion and the depth that is found in many other languages. The first language I ever fell in love with was Iroquoian. It is a Native American language and is spoken by the Cherokee. The first time I heard it I was 10 years old. I was instantly hypnotized by the rhythmic beat of the drums and the Hay-ya-ya-hay-ya that came from the warriors who danced around the fire.


There are 85 characters in written Cherokee syllabary. It was invented by Sequoyah (a.k.a. George Gist). Some modern words that have been added to the Cherokee dictionary are "ditiyohihi" or he who argues repeatedly and with a purpose (a.k.a. attorney) and  "didaniyisgi" or the final catcher (a.k.a. policeman)





In 2003, the Cherokee language became a part of modern pop culture when Apple added the font "Plantagenet Cherokee to its Mac operating systems. Today it is used by more than 300 million iPhone and iPad users around the globe.



In 1992, the film "The Last of the Mohiccans" featured the band Clannad singing the movie's theme song "I Will Find You" which contains both Cherokee and Mohican.Whenever I hear this song, I close my eyes and imagine myself as a medicine woman or shaman. I can feel my soul soaring with  the eagle and can hear its call piercing through the night's sky as it circles above my body. 


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...