Welcome Fellow Campaigners!!

I'm participating in the Platform Building Campaign. If you're a fellow campaigner stopping by, make sure to leave me a comment if you follow me so that I can find you. Sometimes there's not a link in your profile on the GFC so I don't have a way to figure out where you came from. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to reading your posts!!

Monday, April 18, 2011

O (ctopussy)



First to announce the winners of the giveaway. Since 5 is my favorite number, I decided to choose 5 winners.  I used Random.org to choose random numbers and then opened my followers list counted down til I found that number and Surprise! You're the winner! So in no particular order

Ratz at         What Can I Say
Michelle at    Everyday is a Discovery
Karen at       Following the Whispers
Joyce at        Catch My Words
Jill at             Wicked Wicker





source


Now for my O word. Octopussy. My favorite Bond was Pierce Brosnan although Sean Connery's accent is by far my favorite, and like the saying goes, behind every good man is an even better woman, James Bond was no exception. The Bond girls had both brains and beauty. If it had not been for the Bond girls, then 007 would have been 00dead on many occasions. My question however is; where are all of the Bond girls for today's youth? 

To be a role model today, it seems all you need to do is first have a sex tape and then you're guaranteed "stardom, role model" status. It makes me very sad that girls are looking up to people like Paris Hilton, Snookie, and anyone with the last name of Kardashian. 

Where have all of the Bond Girls, Charlie's Angels, and Wonder Women gone? They didn't disappear so why are they being ignored? One of my all time favorite musicians/singers is Pink. She sings about real things that young girls/women today are facing so why is it the only time I see her in the papers is when she is being called "ugly" for wearing a flowery dress? 

Her songs, like Conversations with my 13 year old self, F'ckin' Pefect, and Raise Your Glass,  carry a powerful message that girls today need to hear. Why is it she isn't given the same level of coverage as Britney Spears? Avril Lavigne, Christina Aguilera, and Gwen Stefano are three more amazing role models who young girls could look up to. They aren't without their faults and their lives aren't perfect, but that is what makes them good role models in my opinion at least. They have made mistakes, but they have at least earned their fame. They worked hard for it. They used their intelligence and the fact they are hot is just a bonus.

On the surface, women have come so far, but in reality we haven't gone very far at all. There really isn't anyone to blame except ourselves. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...