Welcome Fellow Campaigners!!

I'm participating in the Platform Building Campaign. If you're a fellow campaigner stopping by, make sure to leave me a comment if you follow me so that I can find you. Sometimes there's not a link in your profile on the GFC so I don't have a way to figure out where you came from. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to reading your posts!!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What are Your Labels?

In life, we wear many labels simultaneously. Some out of choice. Others come as part of a package, and some just because we have to.

What are my labels?

I am southern and redneck.
I know who the Cable Guy is and how to Get Ir Done
I also know the meaning of "Here's your sign"
I know duct tape will fix anything and Monday morning is the best day to find "good furniture" at the dump.
I have been snipe hunting, and for $49.99 I will take you and two of your best friends. (Half off to anyone who has been before but just wants their friends to enjoy the thrill)
I have eaten frog legs, squirrel, rabbit, deer, and snake.

I am muslim.
I wear a veil.
I pray in Arabic.
I am not religious, but I am spiritual.
I believe everyone must find their own path and what is right for me may not be right for you.


I am a mother.
I do not get awakened from a deep sleep by two little eyes staring at me and a small voice whispering "Are you asleep?"
I do not have to repeat myself ten times to take out the trash.
I do not get to hold my children when they have bad dreams.
I do not get to wipe their tears when they fall down trying to learn something new.


I am female.
I prefer doc martins and rodeos to high heels and Rodeo Drive.
I don't wear makeup or jewelry.
I haven't had my hair cut by a professional for almost ten years.
I only found out last year that Jimmy Choo wasn't a man and Lady Gaga wasn't the newest Teletubby.

I am uneducated.
I didn't finish highschool, but I have my GED.
I taught myself to read and write in Arabic and Urdu
I speak 3 languages. My pronunciation might be horrible but I can make myself understood.
I am not an expert but I know how to design a website and can use HTML and CSS.

I am a wife.
I love it when my husband asks me to make him a cup of tea.
I love being able to look across the room and see him busily working on his latest project.
I love that he allowed me to be a part of his world without trying to change me.
I love that he protects me from the big bad world and wouldn't think twice about cutting anyone in half who tried to hurt me.


I am a friend.
I can be your shoulder to cry on.
I am caring and non judgemental
I get when you just need someone to "listen" and aren't really interested in "advice"
I might call you a bitch but I will bitchslap anyone else who even thinks it.



These are only a few of the labels I wear. While they are common everyday labels worn by millions of others, I wear them much differently than most. At times, they are burdens, heavy and difficult to carry. Then suddenly their load lightens. Sometimes it's because someone offers a helping hand. While other times, I change my point of view and what once was burdensome becomes a blessing. Regardless of where I go or what I do, these labels will follow me. My light in the darkness. My constant companion. They are more than just labels. They are me.

What are your labels?



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...