Welcome Fellow Campaigners!!

I'm participating in the Platform Building Campaign. If you're a fellow campaigner stopping by, make sure to leave me a comment if you follow me so that I can find you. Sometimes there's not a link in your profile on the GFC so I don't have a way to figure out where you came from. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and to reading your posts!!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Your Very Own Slice





Pizza is one of my favorite things to eat, but I hate the greasy crust and tons of sauce that is usually dumped on it. Even though I ask for light on the sauce, heavy on the cheese, I usually end up with just the opposite. By using pre-made garlic bread, I found that I could make a quick and easy personal pizza just the way I liked.

You can make your own garlic bread, but I just usually buy whatever is on sale that week at the store, throw it in the freezer, and pull it out whenever I am in the mood for pizza.

I do make my own sauce, but you can easily use a storebought can of pizza or spaghetti sauce to make this recipe even simpler.

Ingredients for sauce:

1lb ground beef
2 tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 green pepper diced
1 onion diced
4-5 mushrooms diced
2-3 green chilies diced (leave out if you don't like spicy)
1 garlic clove crushed and minced
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp dried Basil or 3-4 leaves finely chopped
2-3 Bay Leaves
Salt to taste
Black Pepper to taste


Directions for making the sauce:

Heat a couple tablespoons of cooking oil over medium heat. Then add your diced onions. Let onions cook until translucent but not browned. Then add tomatoes. Once tomatoes have cooked down and a gravy mixture starts to form, add in all of your spices (oregano, basil, bay leaves, garlic, salt and pepper). Cook for a couple minutes then add in all of your veggies (peppers, chilies, mushrooms etc). Make sure to coat all of the veggies very well with the tomato/spice mixture. Then add in your ground meat. Cook meat until browned all the way through. Then I add a tablespoon of tomato puree and 1/3-1/2 cup of water. I don't like my sauce runny. I prefer it to be a bit thicker however if you like more of a thinner, tomatoey sauce, then add more water and more tomato puree until it reaches your desired consistency.


Simply spoon the sauce over the top of the garlic bread and top with shredded cheese. I use a mexican 4 cheese blend, but whatever cheese you prefer is fine. You can also top with pepperoni or for a vegetarian pizza, make the sauce as directed above just don't add the meat.

After you have the sauce prepared, the kids can each make their own individual pizza. You can always puree a few veggies and add into the sauce. It is a great way to get kids to eat veggies without knowing they are eating them.

After you have your bread topped, simply place in a preheated oven until cheese melts and bread is toasty. It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes so make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn.

There are also endless ways that you can make your pizza. You can use meatballs, ground chicken or turkey instead of beef, shredded chicken instead of ground. This is also a great way to get rid of any left-overs you have especially if it's not enough for a whole meal but enough you don't want to just let it go to waste.



Photobucket
 
Linking up with Meals on Monday at The Blog Entourage

Please visit my recipes page for more quick and easy recipes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...